Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Residency, Visas, Permits and all the other hoops!

This week I have been mostly filling in forms!

I thought I had completed all the steps in order to teach in this country but I was sorely mistaken. Not only do you have to send off all your qualifications and proof of your work experience and get them checked by the New Zealand Qualification Council (cost $200), plus get a work permit or visa (cost $200), but you also have to pay another $200 to get registered with the Teachers Council. I understand the reasons behind it and think that all these professionals looking after children need to be thoroughly vetted but blimey - its a lot of paper work.

We have also begun to complete our residency application forms so we now have to start getting medicals, more police certificates and the rest. I just keep reminding myself it will be worth it in the end.

To remind us why we love this country so much we took the girls to Belmont Regional Park and took a walk to Korakora dam.

My girls have been obsessed with finding bugs and anything small and creepy. So my husband, who helpfully has been equally enthusiastic, found these lovely exoskeletons from (we think) cicadas. Lovely aren't they!
Jungle explorers studying bugs.
My two intrepid mountain climbers.

It was a long walk for the girls but the view at the end was well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. The girls might like to know that your husband kept a woodlouse farm for many years when he was only a bit older than they are!

    ReplyDelete